Senior Software Web Engineer
Senior Software Web Engineer
Technology – The Times
News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are
an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing
moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world. Our newspapers reach more
than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday
Times. News UK is also home to Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company
boasting independent local and national radio stations including Virgin Radio, talkSPORT
and Times Radio.
The Times & Sunday Times, we develop and enhance the Times and
Sunday Times digital products, including our core website and including a portfolio of
additional titles such as Times Literary Supplement, Travel, Style and Beauty, working in
partnership with internal and external digital platform teams.
Your role: Senior Web Engineer. You’ll play an important role within a delivery team
producing quality software.
This is a Senior role requiring you to show proactivity, initiative, excellent teamwork and
good judgement. You will help define, implement and continuously improve software
feature delivery, working with colleagues in DevOps to streamline and automate as
much as possible.
You’ll work in an agile environment with Lead Engineers, product teams and business
analysts to ensure that solutions are technically feasible, scalable and maintainable.
You’ll collaborate with your peers across QA, DevOps and engineering both in London
and further afield to advocate a test-driven, continuous delivery approach and
evangelise the importance of value driven solutions for the end user.
You’ll find these skills useful in this role:
- A solid understanding of continuous development methodologies, principles and tools
- A collaborative and engaging approach to team-driven outcomes
- A willingness to broaden your knowledge by learning new skills, tools and approaches
What we’re looking for from you:
- You’re a seasoned Web Software Engineer with a background in user-facing, transactional websites at scale.
- A professional who can make the right judgement calls based on a sound knowledge of industry best-practices and current standards.
- Your experience has covered a wide breadth of development, possibly including APIs, UI, load, performance, security and infrastructure.
- You’re experienced in a range of Web Architectures in Design Systems, React, GraphQL, Typescript and Node, understand the complexities of Server-side, Static and Client-side rendering and have used associated tools and plugins that improve developer experience as well as product delivery.
- You have experience in a range of legacy systems and approaches, as you may be required to update, maintain and decommission legacy code, architecture and approaches as part of our longer term strategies.
- You are familiar with and have a good understanding of CI/CD tooling such as CircleCI and GitHub.
- You’re familiar with AWS, Terraform and Docker and are able to add value to CI/CD Pipeline structures and optimisation.
- You’ll also have an appreciation of secure best practices and follow and actively seek to improve security by design.
- We love knowledge sharing, so ideally you’ll feel comfortable presenting to internal teams as well as mentoring and assisting all levels in the team.
What’s in it for you?
- We are a diverse and dynamic team that is expanding.
- Culture and respect are at the heart of everything we do. We have a well-positioned office, a
- flexible working pattern and a great team environment.
- We’ll help you deliver your best work and grow you with career and personal development through training, conferences and courses.
- The Company is an equal opportunities employer and wholeheartedly supports the principle of equal opportunities for all its employees and all applicants for employment.
- It opposes all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
- We are a diverse team so want to maximise every individual’s potential to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised and utilised.
- This means affording equal access to any employment opportunities within the Company according to your ability, without prejudice or discrimination by reason of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, belief, gender, sexual norientation, gender reassignment, marital status, disability or age.
Please complete the form to apply.