Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering – Remote
Who we are
Sendwave makes sending funds to loved ones as easy and affordable as sending a text. What makes us stand out in a sea of similar apps? We deeply care about the diasporas and communities we serve — and that comes with a sense of connection to the markets we operate in. We strive to make life better for everyone who touches our product. That means recognizing and honouring the human experience behind sending money. We do that by remaining fee-free in most of our markets and offering round-the-clock customer care.
Our app is currently available in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and parts of Europe, and sends funds to 15 receiving countries for over 500,000 users. We currently have a 4.6-star rating on Trustpilot — people put their faith in us to deliver their money quickly, securely, and affordably. And we’re pretty darn proud of that.
How we work
What we’re most proud of, though, is our brilliant, creative, and tenacious team. Our remote-first workplace means you’ll be
working with Sendwavers on five continents that all share a core set of Sendwave values. What exactly are those values? Glad
1. Prioritize fearlessly.
There will always be more problems to solve and opportunities to pursue than we have the capacity for. We’re not afraid to say no and are willing to let fires burn, knowing that to win we must discern and execute decisively on the vital few rather than the important many.
2. Take full ownership of the outcomes we’re responsible for.
Our job is not to do what we can to solve a problem. It's to ensure that problem is solved. If an attempt to solve a problem doesn't work, we seek an alternative. If we need help, we request it, and, if necessary, demand it.
3. Forge a diverse team and inclusive culture.
We believe the challenges we’re addressing will be best met by a truly global, diverse team, working together. We’re not naive to the systemic bias and discrimination that make this easier said than done, so we check our egos, listen deeply, and measure progress towards making this a fundamental part of our success.
4. Maximize our rate of learning.
We view projects as ever-evolving drafts and welcome opportunities to discover that what we had in mind won't work so we can move to an even better end state. Most importantly, we do this fast. The faster we run these loops — as a company and individuals — the faster we’ll achieve our mission.
5. Embrace embarrassing honesty from ourselves and others.
We function best when we're open and honest with one another — especially about our challenges and doubts. We lean into uncomfortable conversations and support our colleagues when they do the same.
6.Maximize energy, not time spent.
We measure our own and others’ contributions by objectives reached, not time spent. Living a full life outside of work is necessary for high achievement over the long term.
HOW YOU’LL HELP US ACHIEVE IT
We believe strongly in building teams that can orient around a well-defined mission and are equipped to execute autonomously against that mission. As a Director of Engineering, you’ll focus on supporting the delivery by the engineering teams that report to you and help develop low-friction processes that support the output of the engineering organization as a whole.
Your key areas of focus:
- Work closely with Engineering, Product, and senior leadership to ensure that company-level objectives are being achieved through your teams and that the quality bar for what gets into production is appropriately high.
- You’ll create high-performing teams with a bias toward shipping without sacrificing system reliability. You’ll use tech debt as a tool to ship and get feedback faster but will ensure your teams have the space needed to “build it right” once they know what the right thing to build is.
- You’ll hire, retain, and level-up superlative talent to ensure our team remains world-class as we continue to scale and launch into new markets.
- Roll up your sleeves and fight fires with the engineers when systems inevitably go down. You’ll need to discuss technical solutions, review PRs, and help execute technical strategy with your leads to ensure Sendwave’s stack remains cohesive and that your teams are solving the correct problems.
- Spin up new teams as we need to support more markets, services, and products.
In your first few months, you will:
- Work with the Head of Engineering and other engineering leads within the company to set up processes and systems that will provide better leverage for the engineers on the team.
- Promote a culture of ownership, accountability, and shipping.
- Root out organizational and system debt to enable teams to ship quickly and independently.
Hire and retain top engineering talent, including ICs and managers.
On a typical day:
- Work with Engineering Managers and Product Managers to ensure the teams have the appropriate support to achieve their objectives. This will include understanding capacity and timeline but also identifying talent gaps and creating new hiring pipelines when needed.
- Review projects in flight, working with members in your organization to understand the project's goals and edit scope where appropriate.
- Coach managers effectively pay down technical debt and ensure system reliability and robustness.
- Provide effective feedback in-situ, so team members have actionable and timely feedback.
What you bring to the table:
- You have a track record of leading a high-performing org of 20-30 engineers and a track record of supporting the professional development of managers and senior-level ICs. While you won’t have to code, you’ll need to be technically proficient and have a history of working on a variety of problems and stacks.
- Experience working on full-stack mobile applications.
- You have previous experience managing managers.
- You have previous experience managing full-stack teams or a backend architecture that's evolving.
- You can attract and retain top engineering talent and lead teams with diverse skill sets.
- Work well with Engineering and Product leaders and are comfortable building effective relationships with folks outside of the Prod-Eng spheres.
- Have exceptional judgment; we’re scaling quickly — you’ll be required to make good tradeoffs.
- Have worked at a scaling startup previously.
- Have full mobile lifecycle experience — working with multiple mobile teams all contributing to the same app.
AND BEST OF ALL:
- Our team of over 400 employees is fully distributed across the world— working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- We are proud parents, community organizers, farmers, play in bands, teach yoga, moonlight as YouTube influencers, are former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili, and Wolof.
- We recently joined forces with WorldRemit, another remittance company, and we’re excited about the ways we can continue to provide the best service to our users.
- Our company is 100% remote, and has been since we were founded. Sendwave hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however, some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Recruiting team can help answer any questions about location as we move further into recruiting process. For this role we are targeting candidates in Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Kenya, Poland, Senegal, UK, and US.
- [WHEN APPLICABLE:] For this role we are anticipating travel for about four weeks out of the year, for companywide and team-level meetings.
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country to country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
READY TO APPLY?
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If you are interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Sendwave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up every day.
Please complete the form to apply.